Whiting-Turner and Johns Hopkins BLocal
The primary areas of focus in Johns Hopkins’ BLocal
initiative are Build, Hire and Buy. Some of the activities and approaches Whiting-Turner is employing in support of BLocal include:
- Increase spend with Maryland MBE/WBE/DBE vendors by $30M over the next three years.
- Partner with BLocal companies to create a Contractors College that will provide support to growing Baltimore-based contractors.
- Identify MBE/WBE/DBE general contractors, construction managers, and subcontractors that can join in a mentoring relationship with Whiting-Turner on Johns Hopkins’ Baltimore area projects. In 2016, Whiting-Turner will start a relationship with two new mentees and increase one per year for the following two years for a total of four by the end of 2018.
- Hire 25 candidates interested in engineering, construction, and business administration from the Hire One Youth Program.
- Continue to meet participation goals for local hiring and workforce training on all Johns Hopkins construction projects through our partnerships with Project Jumpstart and other workforce training programs.
- Endeavor to increase non-construction spend with Baltimore-based businesses, including those owned by minorities and women, to $100,000/year by the end of 2018.
- Whiting-Turner holds Get Down to Business events three times a year to increase the visibility of our portfolio of projects among the MBE/WBE/DBE business community. We will invite and encourage the attendance of Johns Hopkins (University, Medicine, Real Estate, APL) to present projects at these events.